The most harmful gas in the industry of swimming pools is chlorine. Chlorine gas can be released into the atmosphere where swimming pool treatment systems use sodium hypochlorite to treat the water. Sodium hypochlorite is widely used in the chlorination of water as an alternative to chlorine gas due to its inherent safety when it comes to handling and transportation. However, most incidents have occurred when water circulation has stopped or been reduced but the automatic dosing system has continued to operate.
The dangers of being exposed to chlorine
Chlorine is toxic at levels of 0.5ppm, and prolonged exposure to levels of 50ppm may result in death. The gas is 2.5 times heavier than air meaning that it will accumulate at ground level, is a green/yellow colour, and has a very distinct odour.
Chlorine is a severe nose, throat and upper respiratory tract irritant. People exposed to chlorine, even for short periods of time, can develop a tolerance to its odour and irritating properties. In general, volunteers have experienced irritation of the nose, a weak cough, and increased dryness of the throat at concentrations ranging from 0.02 to 2 ppm. Concentrations of 1 to 2 ppm produce significant irritation and coughing, minor difficulty breathing and headache. Concentrations of 1 to 4 ppm are considered unbearable. Severe respiratory tract damage including bronchitis and pulmonary edema (a potentially fatal accumulation of fluid in the lungs) has been observed after even relatively low, brief exposures (estimates range from 15 to 60 ppm). The development of pulmonary edema may occur immediately or can be delayed up to 48 hours after exposure.
Numerous cases of chlorine exposure have been reported, but actual exposure levels have not been well documented. Symptoms observed in non-fatal cases include difficulty breathing, cough, spitting up blood, tightness in the chest, a blue discolouration of the skin, severe headache, nausea, vomiting and fainting. Even with severe exposures, complete recovery usually occurs within one week to a month, depending on the extent of injury to the respiratory tract and lungs. However, long-term respiratory system and lung disorders have been observed following severe short-term exposures to chlorine.
We provide bespoke gas detection systems to detect for Chlorine, these are normally placed in the plant room of swimming pool areas, this can be in the form of a fixed system or a portable unit, which can also be clipped onto your clothing and carried around on your person. Please get in touch today for more information on 01704 330315 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org