Skip to main content
Close

Warranty on all Meters

Trusted Supplier

Fast Worldwide Shipping

Credit Accounts Available

Price Match Guarantee

Are you planning a BBQ this summer?

Are you planning a BBQ this summer?

Posted by Dawn Beever on 1st May 2019

Ensure you are carbon monoxide (CO) aware when lighting BBQ’S and camp fires this summer.

With the warm weather on its way, the first thing people (quite rightly) think about is being outdoors and having BBQ’s with family and friends. However, without ruining your fun, we want to raise the warning signs and your attention to the possible fatal dangers of CO.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless toxic flammable gas formed by incomplete combustion of carbon.

10 vital facts:

-CO is less dense than air

-50% of CO incidents happen in homes

-CO is known as the ‘silent killer’ because it has no taste, no smell and you can’t see it

-The symptoms of CO poisoning are; headaches, dizziness, irritability, confusion/memory loss, disorientation, nausea and vomiting, difficulty in coordinating and breathing and chest pain

-CO leaves the body quickly – so taking immediate action such as turning off appliances, opening windows and leaving the area in the case of a suspected leak could save your life

-CO is the most common type of indoor air poisoning in countries where they still rely on fires to heat homes and cook food

-Every year there are around 50 deaths from accidental CO poisoning

-CO can be produced in any fuel-burning appliance that is not properly maintained or

-Survivors of CO poisoning can be left with chronic after-effects such as brain damage for the rest of their lives

-COis the cause of death for 90% of fire victims

CO gas is released during a barbecue when a carbon-based fuel - such as gas or charcoal - isn't given enough ventilation to burn adequately. Studies show that most people presume that burns, drunken accidents and food poisoning are the most hazardous risks when it comes to BBQ safety. However, CO poses the biggest threat, as you don’t even know it is there. This is why you need to ensure the following when lighting a BBQ or camp fire this summer:

Act quickly and the severity of the poisoning may be reduced

Do not use a BBQ inside

Do not take a smouldering or lit BBQ into a tent, caravan or cabin

Ensure you can see your lit BBQ at all times

Read the instructions on your BBQ and stick to them

If you have any questions about carbon monoxide or any other gases and how to stay safe around them, please do not hesitate to contact our friendly sales team on 01704330315 or email sales@pointsafety.com.